The E! Network is premiering a new reality series this week. “SoCosmo” takes you behind the pages of Cosmopolitan magazine. The show features staff members and events. Viewers see the inner workings of the publication and watch business lessons unfold.
[WARNING: This story contains spoilers from the SoCosmo premiere episode]
During the episode, the staff auditioned two guys for the available fitness contributor position. This caused slight drama between the staff members and sparks [of attraction] between one of the potential contributors and a brand coordinator for the magazine. As the episode continued, we also got a glimpse of the cover photo shoot with Ruby Rose.
The business lessons in this episode can apply to each of one of us. I explain the top three lessons below.
3 Business Lessons from SoCosmo, Episode 1
1…Women should always introduce themselves using both names.
Joanna Coles, editor-in-chief at Cosmopolitan magazine, explains this lesson as her “First Rule” in business. Imagine you’re at a networking event. As you make your way around the room, you meet several new people. How do you introduce yourself? Think about it. Do you say, “Hi. I’m [first name].” – or do you use your full name? According to Joanna women are more likely to only use their first name when meeting someone new. Men, on the other hand, almost always use their full name.
2…A new Editor-in-Chief means a new staff.
- Don’t get too comfortable in your position. You could be replaced tomorrow. Being comfortable often means being complacent. You should always strive to go further in your career. Enroll in classes (online or locally). Build your network by attending events, volunteering and helping others.
- Have a plan. What would you do today if you were called into your boss’s office and relieved of your job? Would you worry? Do you have a plan for what’s next? As professionals, we should know and be able to articulate where you want to go with your career. Where would you like to be [professionally] in three or five years?
2 of 3 business lessons: Your position isn’t always safe. Be prepared should the day arrive that you find yourself without a job. Have a plan, articulate what you want to do professionally and build your network and support system.@SoCosmoOnE, Episode 1 reveals 3 business lessons professionals should learn. #spoilers Click To Tweet
3…Change Happens. Will you embrace the change, or resist?
Heraclitus, a Greek philosopher, is often cited as the originator of the quote “change is the only constant in life.” This saying is true in business as well. During this episode, the Cosmopolitan staff members learn of big changes at the magazine. Many were shocked. Several expressed concerns. However, it was noted that the staff can either embrace the change or resist it.
Latest posts by Ramona (see all)
- 5 Pop Culture Stories from Last Week That You Should Know About - February 19, 2017
- 3 Timeless Leadership Lessons from So Cosmo, Episode 2 - February 16, 2017
- 5 of the Latest Pop Culture News Items Revisted - February 12, 2017